There are many reasons why you should switch to using firewood. For starters, it’s a more sustainable option than other forms of heating. It also burns cleaner and hotter than other fuels, making it a more efficient to heat your home. In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of using firewood and provide tips on how to make the switch!
Firewood is a self-renewing resource that can be replenished over time. Furthermore, burning firewood lowers your carbon footprint. Burning wood releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, but trees and plants absorb it as they grow. This means that using firewood is a net-zero emissions activity, making it environmentally friendly.
Here are different types of firewood available:
Different types of firewood are used for various purposes.
- Hardwood: This type of wood is ideal for fireplaces and wood-burning stoves because it burns slowly and evenly. It also produces a lot of heat, making it perfect for chilly winter nights!
- Softwood: Softwood is a good choice for kindling because it lights easily. However, it burns quickly and doesn’t produce as much heat as hardwood.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is a popular choice for firewood because it burns hot and fast. It also has a pleasant smell when burned, making it an excellent option for indoor fires.
Ironbark is mainly used for firewood as it is a very dense hardwood. It has a high heat output and burns for a long time. Ironbark is also one of the best wood to use if you want to create hot coals for cooking.
Red gum is another type of hardwood that is commonly used for firewood. It has a high heat output and burns for a long time. As a result, it produces less smoke than other woods, making it a good choice for indoor fires.
Boxwood is a popular choice for wood-burning stoves and fireplaces because it is a hardwood that burns slowly and evenly. It also produces a lot of heat, making it perfect for chilly winter nights!
Mixed Wood is a good choice for those who want to save money on firewood. It is a combination of hardwood and softwood that is often used for kindling. Mixed wood burns quickly and doesn’t produce as much heat as hardwood, but it is a cheaper option.
Standard Eco-Harwood is a type of firewood that is made from recycled wood. It has a lower heat output but burns quickly. Standard Eco-Harwood is an excellent choice for those who want to reduce their carbon footprint.
Kindling is a type of wood that is used to start fires. It is usually made from pine or other softwoods. Kindling burns quickly and is essential to creating fire with wood.
Now that you know about the different types of firewood available, it’s time to make the switch! It might appear to be complicated to convert from firewood usage, but we’re here to help! Here are some tips on how to make the switch:
- Start by slowly incorporating firewood into your heating routine. If you typically use wood pellets, start using them 50% of the time and gradually increase the amount of firewood you use.
- Invest in a wood-burning stove or fireplace. This will make it easier to use firewood as your primary heating source.
- Store your firewood correctly. Firewood should be stored in a dry, protected area. If you live in a room with high humidity, consider investing in a wood-drying kiln.
- Use a wood-burning stove or fireplace insert. These devices are designed to maximise the efficiency of burning firewood.
By following these tips, you can easily switch to using firewood! Not only will you be reducing your carbon footprint, but you’ll also be saving money in the long run. So what are you waiting for? Make the switch today!
Once you have decided what wood you want to use, the next step is finding a firewood supplier. You can often find firewood for sale at hardware stores or online. Be sure to buy from a reputable source to ensure that you are getting high-quality wood. Now that you know the benefits of using firewood and where to get it, there’s no excuse not to make the switch!